Below is the treatment outline that I feel best maximizes the supplements. Through trial-and-error, this outline was established. The order of taking the supplements is very important, and can greatly effect how the treatment is able to work.
All the supplements (aside from the probiotics and parasite cleanse) need to be started out very slow. Herxing is common when taking supplements that either detox the body or kill off bacteria. Some discomfort is normal, but each person needs to use wisdom on when to- increase the dose if the body is handling the die off well, or decrease the dose if there is too much bacteria dying at once.
For people who have very limited budgets, I have but an asterisk (*) next to the supplements that are the most important.
Repair Stomach: A large percentage of the immune system is in the stomach/intestines. Poor dietary habits and antibiotic use destroys the good bacteria that is needed to absorb essential nutrients and to boost the immune system. Until the stomach/intestines are repaired, healing from Lyme disease can’t begin. Continue the probiotics throughout all of your Lyme treatment.
- *Probiotics: Probiotics help keep harmful micro-organisms in check, aid in digestion, improves nutrient absorption, and improve immune function. Dosage: 1-2 capsule a day on an empty stomach.
* Salt: Salt is a very interesting mineral. The heart needs it for normal rhythm, the body needs it to maintain a healthy balance of electrolytes, and the adrenals/thyroid need it to produce their hormones. Benjamin Franklin said in his autobiography, that he would drink salt water whenever he felt like he was about to get sick, then he wouldn’t get sick. Scientists now know that salt makes the cell walls of bacteria and viruses permeable, allowing antimicrobials/antivirals/immune system to penetrate and kill the intruding organism. Ordinary table salt isn’t healthy for people because of the additives that are in it (which is what makes people have high BP). The best salt I’ve found is Himalayan salt, and studies indicate that it has very minimal effects on raising blood pressure, unlike table salt (but if someone has high BP, it is best to keep an eye on it all during Lyme treatment).
Dosage: Follow the instructions that come with the Himalayan salt to make “sole” (salt water). Start slow at about 1/8 teaspoon, and work up to 2 teaspoons. Best taken in the mornings and/or at lunch.
NT-Factor: For people that struggle with Lyme, having no energy is a common problem. The immune system is fighting an infection over a long period of time, which causes cell damage. Also, when the Lyme and co-infection bacteria die, they release neurotoxins that end up damaging normal cells all over the body. They cause little holes to be punctured into the cells making it hard on the cells to produce energy. NT Factor helps the cells to heal, so that your body can naturally produce energy. There are lots of supplements on the market that say they promote energy, but a lot of the time, they work by forcing the adrenals to work harder, which are already overly stressed in someone that has Lyme.
Dosage: Take 2-4 pills a day. It is best to take them in the morning and/or at lunch. This supplement takes time to start noticing a difference in energy levels because the NT Factor is helping individual cells to heal, before the cells can start producing more energy.
Start Detoxing: Detoxing the body is crucial to getting better. Our world is full of toxins in the air, in the water, and in the food. The body works hard to filter and eliminate the toxins that enter it, but when someone is sick, that ability diminishes greatly. For people with Lyme, the toxin load is overwhelming. When the Lyme bacteria die, they release neuro-toxins that build up in the body and can damage the nerves. If the body becomes overloaded with toxins it causes a “herx“, which can slow down recovery. By taking steps to help the body detox, it will diminish the herx and allow the body to heal.
- *The first important supplement, Lyposomal Glutathione, helps move toxins from the liver/lymph/blood stream and dumps them into the colon. Glutathione is able to cross the BBB (Blood Brain Barrier) which many natural remedies and prescription meds are unable to do. Normal Glutathione is poorly absorbed and is a waste of money. The Lyposomal form of Glutathione is protected from being broken down in the stomach, and gets deposited into the blood stream, where it is able to be used the most. Lyposomal Glutathione is one of the best supplements in helping with “brain fog”/poor memory. I call it “liquid gold” because it is the most expensive of all the supplements recommended, but it makes a big difference in feeling better, and is worth the price. Dosage: Use 1 packet in the morning in juice, or combine it with the multi-vitamin and Lyposomal Vit C. Warning- it does smell like rotten eggs.
- *Chlorella is very important to take and is often referred to as the “mop”. It binds to the toxins and heavy metals that form when bacteria/viruses die, and helps them get eliminated from the system via the colon. If this isn’t taken, then the toxins will get reabsorbed from the colon and will just keep traveling through the body, making a person feel sicker. This supplement is also dense in nutrients and has a lot of benefits for a person who has been sick for a long time. There are 2 main kinds of Chlorella, but the most beneficial is the kind from C.Pyreneidosa. Dosage: Start with 4-6 tablets a day with a meal, preferably in the morning or at lunch due to the iron these tablets contain. Increase the amount until you get to 15-20 tablets a day. (the tablets are very small)
- The skin is the largest organ of the body, and requires attention too. The best way to detox the skin is through Epsom Salt baths. Any brand of Epsom Salts works fine. Run a hot bath, add in the epsom salts, and soak the body. Start with 1/8 cup of salts for 10min. Slowly increase to 1 cup of epsom salt for 20-30min. Then drain the water and take a shower to get the toxins and salt off the skin.
- The liver also is very important to keep functioning correctly since it cleanses the blood along with other critical functions. The best supplement to promote healthy liver function is Milk Thistle. Dosage: Start with 1 pill a day, and when the side effects of the detoxing lessen, increase the dose to 2 pills a day.
* Parasite Cleanse: People with Lyme have low immune systems, which gives other organisms a great opportunity to make a home in the body. Having parasites will not only make Lyme symptoms worse, but they also rob a person of very important nutrients the body needs to heal.
Dosage: It is important that whatever parasite cleanse a person uses, that it lasts for 30 days. The first week kills off most of the parasites, but the larvae and eggs are untouched. They will hatch within 30 days, which is why it is important to have a cleanse that lasts that long, otherwise the body will become re-infested. Follow the instructions that come with the parasite cleanse on the actual dosage for each day.
Strengthen Immune system: Lyme and co-infections greatly lower the immune system. It is necessary to take an immune booster to get the immune to start working again, so that it starts fighting back against the Lyme.
- *Kyolic Immune formula 103: This is a great supplement to boost the immune system, and is still very cost effective. It consists of Olive Leaf Extract (great against viruses), Oregano, 5 different mushrooms, Astragalus, and Garlic. Dosage: Take 2 pills with each meal.
Start taking the supplements below, once 7-10 days have been completed of the parasite cleanse. Begin at the lowest dosage recommended, and slowly increase as the body is able to tolerate.
Mega Nutrients: Illness puts added stress on the body, making it use up more of it’s vitamin/mineral stores. It is essential to be taking some mega nutrients to aide the body in it’s healing, which will make the body able to respond faster to the Lyme treatment. If these supplements are started before the parasite cleanse, then the parasites are going to steal most of the vitamins/minerals thereby making them stronger.
- *All One Green Phyto Base Multivitamin and Mineral Powder: This Multivitamin powder has the nutrients that a stressed body dealing with a chronic illness requires. Being in powder form makes it easier for the body to absorb it compared to multivitamin tablets or capsules. Dosage: Take 1 heaping tablespoon in the morning. You can combine it in the same juice as the Glutathione and Vit C.
Optional Supplements: Here is a list of other optional supplements that can help with some of the side effects of Lyme disease.
- Neuro-Antitox II CNS/PNS: This tincture removes the ammonia that builds up in the brain when bacteria die, which also helps with brain fog, that is often associated with Lyme disease and co-infections. Be careful to take this in the morning, as it might disturb sleep if taken past noon. Dosage: Take 1 dropperful a day for a week, and increase to 2-3 dropperfuls a day.
- *Yeast Ease Plus: This tincture kills yeast/Candida which can become a problem when a person is taking antibacterials. Dosage: Take 1 dropperful, 3x’s a day with meals. Continue taking it for the full duration of Lyme treatment.
Start these supplements once the parasite cleanse is finished.
Anti-Microbials: Because the Lyme bacteria and co-infections are very resilient, it is important to hit them hard with multiple antimicrobials, because the bacteria can adapt.
- *Lymogen: This very strong tincture was designed to help rid the body of all the various U.S. and European strains of Lyme, along with co-infections. It helps boost the immune system and has a long list of herbs including- Extract Fructus Bruceae Extract, Chinese Wolfberry Root Bark, Purslane, Aloe Vera, Salvia Root, White Peony Root, Scultellaria Root, Coptis Chinensis Rhizome, Oldenlandia, Discorea Opposita Rhizome, and Dried Ginger. Dosage: Start with 2-3 drops in the morning and evening. As the body adjusts, slowly increase to a full dropper with each meal (Breakfast, Lunch, and Supper).
- *Borrelogen: This very potent tincture is a combination of botanicals specifically selected to help the body see and destroy Lyme, along with co-infections and viruses. It also boosts the immune system, and includes- White Mulberry Leaf, Chrysanthemum Flower, Forsythia Fruit, Balloon Flower Rhizome, Field Mint, Apricot Seed, Reed Rhizome, Licorice Root, Ophiopogon Tubor, Fruiting Body of Puffball, Lasiosphaera, and Cats Claw. Dosage: Start with 2-3 drops in the morning and evening. As the body adjusts, slowly increase to a full dropper with each meal (Breakfast, Lunch, and Supper).
- *Resveratrol: This supplement is essential to killing the Lyme and Bartonella bacteria. It is able to cross the BBB, which is vital because it can get to the brain were the infections like to hide, and it also helps other supplements cross the BBB. It is important to get the kind made from Japanese Knotweed, as the kind from grapes doesn’t kill Lyme and Bartonella. Dosage: Start with 1 capsule and increase slowly to at least 3-5 a day.
- *Vitamin C: Vitamin C is VERY beneficial to the body. It boosts the immune system, kills parasites, kills bacteria…etc. Also, the adrenals require Vit.C to function correctly, especially when the body is stressed with a chronic illness. Normal Vit C tablets only have 15-19% absorption rate. Lyposomal Vit C is a specially made to bypass the stomach (which is where tablet Vit C break down and lose it’s potency) and goes straight into the blood stream, allowing it to have 96% absorption rate. Tests have shown Lyposomal Vit C to be more potent than IV Vit C and is much more cost effective. Dosage: 1,000-5,000mg daily.
- *Humaworm: Yes, this is the same cleanse that is recommended to take earlier in the treatment outline. It is actually very effective against Babesia, which is a blood parasite. Make sure to have taken the full dose of Humaworm (4 capsules a day for 1 month) earlier in the treatment to target all parasites. But since Babesia is harder to get rid of, it needs to be taken for a longer duration to eradicate the infection. Dosage: Take 1 capsule each morning before breakfast. Continue taking Humaworm for, at the very least, 3 months after symptoms subside.
Remove Metals: When the bacteria die and the biofilm dissolve, heavy metals that were stored up will be released into the blood stream and will cause a person to have an increase in sypmtoms. Heavy metal build up can also be a cause for the “brain fog” that is commonly experienced with Lyme disease. There are 2 types of supplements needed to rid the body of heavy metals- Cilantro and Chlorella.
- Cilantro: Cilantro is the “mobilizer” of metal. It gets the heavy metals out of the tissues of the body and into the blood stream. Dosage: Take 15 drops 30 min before a meal, and increase to 30 drops. Do this once a day. Make sure to take Chlorella with the same meal.
Start this supplement after a couple of months of taking the antimicrobials and antivirals.
*Biofilm “Cyst” Busters: Bacteria like to hide in biofilm (also known as cysts) to evade the immune system and antimicrobials. It is best to wait for several months after the antimicrobials have been started before adding a biofilm buster; otherwise the body can become overwhelmed by the amount of active bacteria that would be released into it’s system. Here are a list of several supplements to choose from- Nattokinase, Lumbrokinase, or Serrapeptase. Only 1 biofilm buster needs to be taken, these are just some different options that vary in price. Dosage: Take 1 pill on an empty stomach every other day, then slowly increase to 2 pills every day.
Remember to give the body time to respond to this treatment. There are a lot of variables that could lengthen or shorten recovery from Lyme Disease. (ie. how long a person has been sick, how healthy a person was before getting sick, how many co-infections a person has, previous medications a person has been on in the past…etc)
- Melatonin: Melatonin is very helpful to get a restful sleep, which is necessary for the body to heal from Lyme. It helps the brain to release the correct chemicals to allow the body to sleep. Dosage: Follow the dosage on the bottle.
- GABA: This supplement helps the body to relax and slows down the nerve signals going to the brain. Dosage: Follow the dosage on the bottle.
- Since pain is a big symptom of Lyme disease and co-infections, it must be addressed. The best thing I found to help with pain is by taking 2-3 Advil with 2-3 Tylenol. They work together to provide better relief than just taking one or the other.
Alternate supplements that can be used if some of the ones suggested in the outline aren’t tolerated well.
- Modified Citrus Pectin: Another detox supplement is Modified Citrus Pectin, which binds to toxins and heavy metals, then gets excreted in the urine. It also dissolves fibrin, so that needs to be taken into account when taking this supplement, as it will release hidden bacteria into the bloodstream. So this one is best started once the antimicrobials have been taken for at least 1-4 months. Dosage: Start with 1 pill a day and increase to 6 pills a day.